Advertisement

Primark removes 'dangerous' Christmas candle from sale

From BBC - December 7, 2017

A picture of a Primark candle bursting into flames has gone viral, after a mother-of-three took to Facebook to raise awareness of the potential hazard.

Jenny Ferneyhough purchased the 5 candle - which she said developed into "massive flames" after an hour of burning - in Manchester on Saturday.

The 33-year-old's Facebook post has been shared 145,000 times.

Primark said it is removing the product from sale and investigating the matter.

'Dangerous around decorations'

Mrs Ferneyhough, a Manchester City Council benefits officer, said she lit the candle - in the shape of a Christmas tree - after putting her three children to bed.

She said the flame had spread from the wick to the whole candle within an hour.

She said: "Obviously everyone knows not to leave a flame unattended, but if you went to the loo, a couple of seconds later it could have burst into flames.

Advertisement

Continue reading at BBC »