UPDATE 3-ArcelorMittal Canada steelmaker not seeking government aid -CEO

From Reuters - March 13, 2018

HAMILTON, Ontario (Reuters) - ArcelorMittal Dofascos chief executive said on Tuesday the company was not seeking Canadian government aid as the domestic steel industry faces uncertainty after U.S. President Donald Trump provided temporary tariff relief on steel imports.

Sean Donnelly, who heads Canadas largest steel manufacturer, added that the government must put resources in place to ensure cheap steel is not diverted to Canada after Trump decided last week to impose a 25 percent tariffs on steel imports.

Asked if his company would seek government aid, Donnelly replied: No.

Canada is the biggest supplier of steel and aluminum to the United States but the steel sector accounted for only 22,000 direct jobs and represented 2 percent of exports last year.

Donnelly spoke to Reuters as Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau visited the steel city of Hamilton to reassure workers and meet with company CEOs, as part of his week-long tour to defend Canadian jobs. On Monday, Trudeau called Trump to stress the need to preserve cross-border supply chains.

Behind closed doors, Trudeau and industry representatives spoke about the issue of cheap steel entering Canada, but did not get into specifics, Canadian Steel Producers Association(CSPA) President Joseph Galimberti said.


Continue reading at Reuters »